5 Things to Know About Getting Your First Annual Fire Safety Statement


A fire safety statement is an important document that shows you’ve taken the necessary steps to ensure your property meets the fire safety regulations. Whether you’re a homeowner, business owner, or landlord, it’s essential that you obtain a fire safety certificate. Before you get started, there are a few things you should know about obtaining your Annual Fire Safety Statement. Read on to learn the top five things to keep in mind when getting your first Annual Fire Safety Statement.

What is an Annual Fire Safety Certificate?

An annual fire safety certificate is an official document that certifies that a building’s fire safety measures have been properly maintained and inspected over the past year. This document confirms that the fire safety equipment in the building, such as sprinkler systems and smoke alarms, are functioning correctly and meet the legal requirements for fire safety. The annual fire safety statement is required under the fire safety legislation of each state in Australia. Failure to obtain the statement may lead to legal penalties and risk of injuries or fatalities in case of fire outbreaks.

Who Needs an Annual Fire Safety Statement?

In general, any building that has fire safety measures installed is required by law to obtain an annual fire safety statement. This includes all types of buildings such as residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. Owners of buildings who have made changes or alterations to their building’s fire safety systems must also get an annual fire safety statement. This is because it is crucial to ensure that the new systems are installed and functioning correctly to keep the occupants of the building safe in the event of a fire. In some instances, a fire safety statement may be required more than once per year. For example, buildings such as hospitals or aged care facilities may require multiple statements in a year due to their high-risk nature and the constant need to keep their fire safety systems in check.

When Do You Need an Annual Fire Safety Statement?

All buildings other than residential properties require an annual fire safety statement. This includes commercial, industrial, and public buildings such as offices, warehouses, schools, hospitals, and shopping centres. An annual fire safety statement must be submitted to your local council or fire brigade every year on the anniversary of the date on which your fire safety certificate was issued. It’s important to note that if your building’s occupancy or layout changes, you may need to update your fire safety statement accordingly.

How Do You Get an Annual Fire Safety Statement?

Getting your first annual fire safety statement can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Here’s a breakdown of the steps you need to take:

  • Contact a qualified fire safety professional: To get an annual fire safety statement, you’ll need to work with a qualified fire safety professional. This person will be able to inspect your property, identify potential fire hazards, and recommend any necessary changes to ensure your building is safe and compliant with fire safety regulations.
  • Schedule an inspection: Once you’ve identified a fire safety professional, you’ll need to schedule an inspection of your building. The inspection will likely take a few hours, depending on the size and complexity of your property.
  • Make any necessary changes: Based on the results of the inspection, your fire safety professional may recommend that you make changes to your building to improve its safety and compliance. Be sure to follow their recommendations and make any necessary changes before requesting your fire safety statement.
  • Request your annual fire safety statement: Once your property is up to code, you can request your annual fire certificate. This will typically be issued by your local fire department or another local government agency responsible for fire safety. Be sure to keep a copy of your statement on file, as you may need to provide it to insurance companies, landlords, or other interested parties.