Health Benefits for Deskbound Office Employees – The Realm of Ergonomic Office Furniture

123

Ergonomic furniture in general relate to any product that are specifically designed with the element of comfort and functionality that focus on the physical movements of the human body. Ergonomic furniture has become a focal point within the scope of the modern office design especially in large metropolitans such as Melbourne.

Surveys currently indicate that 75 % of employers in Melbourne provide employees with ergonomic office chairs and some with ergonomic desks. For the remaining 25 % of employers in Melbourne, ergonomic modern office furniture is something they should take into serious consideration if there are any upcoming office improvements or refurbishment projects coming up. This article examines the elements that constitutes ergonomic furniture and looks at the importance of ergonomics in furniture in various perspectives.

Ergonomic products are basically products that are designed to support function and as well as comfort of people regardless if they are furniture such as office chairs or desks that are available in most furniture stores in Melbourne or electronic items. The fundamental aspect of ergonomics mainly revolves around practical and safe human use that is aimed at reducing various illnesses such as musculoskeletal disorders, joint aches, back problems, stiff necks, arthritis, restricted circulation and irregular blood pressure among others.

For any piece of furniture to be deemed as ergonomic, the furniture (for example an office chair) should be designed in such a manner that the chair itself does not restrict movement, but instead advocate the natural physical movement of the human body and also support posture (the natural S posture of the human spine) instead of causing people to slouch and forcing the spine into a C shape.

Ergonomic furniture must also be easy to adjust to accommodate the various physical range of people’s physical structure or body build. Most ergonomic furniture generally prioritises usability, functionality and comfort ahead of aesthetics. Al of the above factors also play a significant role towards reducing stress on various parts of the human body especially the joints and muscles.

A good example of an ergonomically designed office chair is a chair that allows the user of the chair to adjust the height of the chair (distance from to seat) which is important with regards to allowing the user to not just be able to place his or her feet flat on the floor, but also ensure that their hips are parallel to knees when seated. A good example of an ergonomic electronic item is a pivotal screen monitors that are fitted with filtered screens that prevent glare and gradual damage to vision.

Similarly ergonomic keyboards and mouse prevent issues such as carpal tunnel syndrome. Most office employees are not aware of the impact of regular furniture on their health in the long run and this has led to many office employees succumbing to musculoskeletal disorders and bad posture among others after decades of working in office environments mainly due to the absence of ergonomics.

These days new legislation have been introduced that compel employers to provide ergonomic furniture for employees which also benefits the employers in the long run due to the increased productivity of employees who are placed in ergonomically designed office environment.